Bowling Green certainly has a bustling holiday scene and the first weekend in December is once again PACKED with family fun in 2014! Below you'll find a suggested itinerary for that weekend.
On Friday, December 5, head to beautiful downtown Fountain Square Park to admire the winter wonderland it becomes with thousands of twinkling lights as Downtown Lights Up. A Holiday Market will take place in Fountain Square Park Friday night and Saturday until noon while the Bowling Green Gallery Hop bounces visitors around the area on Friday evening for local art. FREE parking is available at the Hitcents Park Plaza garage at 8th Ave. and College St.
On Saturday, December 6, catch the annual BG Christmas Parade through downtown Bowling Green at 9:30 a.m. Then get into the holiday spirit at the Kentucky Museum’s Christmas in Kentucky event. Sample gingerbread in the Felts Log Cabin, have your photo made with Santa, make Christmas ornaments and much more at this free event. Then admire some of Bowling Green's finest homes while you take the Landmark Association's Christmas Tour of Homes. Next, venture down Highway 68/80 to nearby South Union where you can select some unique Kentucky crafted gifts at the Christmas at Shakertown Holiday Market. A canned good is all you need for admittance to this great holiday tradition.
Finish up your afternoon of shopping by browsing Kentucky-made products at Chaney's Dairy Barn, or take a quick drive up the road to Rock Garden Farm for some great arts, crafts and collectibles.
Enjoy a leisurely Sunday morning on December 7 with breakfast at the hotel, then its off to Flealand or the Broadway Bargain District for some great holiday deals. Next dash across town to the Historic Railpark & Train Museum at the L&N Depot for their annual Festival of Trains. See the region's largest model train display, climb aboard restored railcars, and tour the interactive two-story museum.
If holiday performances are what you're looking for, plan your visit when The Best Christmas Pageant Ever will be at The Phoenix Theatre, A Christmas Story will be at the Capitol Arts Theatre, Holiday Pops will be on the hill at WKU's Van Meter Hall, and Walk Through Bethlehem will be available at Grace Baptist Church. Add in the Carriage Rides through downtown, Breakfast with Santa at Chaney's Dairy Barn, and Sleigh Rides with Santa at the National Corvette Museum, that's another great weekend of holiday memories!
Other Great Holiday Fun with the Family
These activities are perfect for a wintry day!
- Warm up this holiday season by taking a tour of Bowling Green's Corsair Distillery! Tours with tasting are $5 per adult, or $8 with your choice of a glass to take home and are offered Tuesday- Saturday.
- Turn the Holiday Tree Display at the Houchens Center into a scavenger hunt and get the kids searching for specific items, certain colors, special ornaments, and other holiday clues!
- Did you know caves stay the same temperature year-round? Take an underground boat ride in Lost River Cave and enjoy the mild 55˚ climate!
- The National Corvette Museum is open 7 days a week, 8am until 5pm offering exhibits and interactive fun with their KidZone! Of course, don't miss their HUGE gift shop for that special guy in your life!
- Fountain Square Park becomes a winter wonderland each December... stroll the park on that 'not-so-blustery' December evening!
- For pieces of Kentucky history, why not visit the Kentucky Museum's instruments of American Excellence, 'Recommended by Duncan Hines' and Civil War exhibits?
- If you like Trains, then you won't want to miss the Historic Railpark & Train Museum. They have a two-story interactive museum, and out back you can climb aboard real railcars!
- Oh, and how could we omit SHOPPING! Bowling Green has tons of unique, locally owned shops, two flea markets, a mall, consignment district, and much more!