Van Meter HallVisit Website
Van Meter Hall was the first building constructed on the campus of Western Kentucky University. Constructed in 1911, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. This historic building underwent a major renovation and expansion in 2008. The overhaul of the building included improvements in lighting, acoustic upgrades, restoration of the original chandeliers and crown molding, the addition of an electronic orchestra pit, an audio/visual area, a redesigned balcony, new elevator and restrooms, beautiful dressing rooms and a defined greenroom. The Auditorium seats nearly 1,100 people and hosts concerts, theater performances, public events, and is available for rental.
Van Meter was Louisville architect Brinton B. Davis' first project at WKU. When completed, it was one of the largest buildings between Nashville and Louisville. A student who first saw the campus in 1913 thought Van Meter "the biggest building in the world," a perception accentuated by its position atop a commanding hill. Resembling the Acropolis' Erectheion Temple, Davis lavished the "rotunda" of Van Meter with beautifully fluted pilasters, a stained glass skylight and French marble. Visitors and students enjoy the view from its steps and the nearby fountain.