As the weather warms up and classes are out, summer is on our minds. Here are five ways you can kick-off your summer break in Bowling Green.
1. Find an adventure at Beech Bend Amusement Park and Splash Lagoon. Check out the award-winning Kentucky Rumbler — a wooden roller coaster that is the most twisted in a seven-state region. The park also features rides for people of all ages. Then cool off at Splash Lagoon, where you can glide down the Lazy River or experience the Cyclone Saucer water slides. You can even book a cabana or canopy to have a space of your own while the crew is chillin' at Splash Lagoon.
2. Though the temperature is heating up outside, it’s nice and refreshing underground. If you’ve not visited Mammoth Cave National Park, then reserve your tickets in advance so you can explore this natural wonder. Mammoth Cave will be offering seven different tours starting June 6 — find tour descriptions here. Reservations are highly recommended as the cave tours often sellout days in advance. Add another cave to your tour with a visit to Lost River Cave & Ziplines (we recommend you book these tours in advance, too).
3. Keep your mind in top form with a trip to Conundrum Workshop. Get a group together and see if you can get out of one of its escape games with time to spare. The business is even hosting a Jesse James-themed citywide escape game on June 19 if your trip coincides! Then keep your physique in top form, too, by booking some time at Vertical eXcape rocking climbing gym. Kids as young as 5 can climb!
4. Jackson’s Orchard is the perfect spot to visit as summer gets underway. The concession stand — featuring homemade peach ice cream, vanilla ice cream, vanilla/peach swirl ice cream, apple cider slushees and fried apple and peach pie — has opened for the season. Find some great Kentucky Proud items in the Apple Barn, plus a nursery bursting with hanging baskets, vegetable plants and more. Of course, we can't mention ice cream without recommending Chaney's Dairy Barn and its more than two dozen flavors available plus many more seasonal options!
5. Get ready for some summer relaxation with a visit to Be Happy Yoga & Salt Cave. A guided meditation session in the salt cave is the perfect way to melt away stress from work or the school year — and it might even help you breathe better. Be Happy also offers a variety of yoga classes and massage therapy. If you and your traveling friends are 21 and older, make a stop at nearby Preservation Tasting Room & Bottle Shop, home to a selection of organic wines, craft beers and bourbon, part of your post-salt cave experience.
Looking for more fun ways to celebrate summer in BGKY? Our Things to Do and Events sections of our website are the perfect resources for summer planning! And don't forget to book a hotel and find some great restaurants to round out your visit. Stay in the know on all things Bowling Green by subscribing to our monthly e-newsletter, or Request a Visitors Guide to help plan your next BGKY adventure.